Saturday, October 18, 2008

It's The Little Things


Sometimes, as we're walking around, looking for something to photograph, you can literally stumble over, and miss some of the best subject matter.


I do it all the time.....searching for some dramatic, grand scene, or a hillside of vibrant color. It's easy to miss some great shots.


A couple days ago in New Hampshire, our workshop group was driving around, on a return trip to what had become one of our favorite shooting locations. A remote hilltop, recommended to us by Howard Bean, an 85 year old, life-long resident of Wolfeboro.


We all jumped out of the cars, happy to return to this wonderfully diverse shooting spot.


Everyone hustled off to the exact place they had in mind for the special image that might have been missed on the previous trip. The lighting and time of day were different, so the possibilities for variety were excellent. And, as often happens, the students will ask me for lens recommendations and some other technical info.


"Wide angle" I answered, without hesitation. This place has some of the most amazing trees and color I'd seen anywhere. Great foreground, mid-ground and backgrounds.....it screamed for the wide shot.


As my wife, Sue, and I stood at the rear of the van, unloading our gear, she asked to try the macro lens I'd been raving about. I couldn't imagine what she had in mind, but dug it out of the vest pocket, and set her up with my 90mm close-up special.


I ran around grabbing all the shots I could, before the sun poked thru, and ruined the soft light....yet, I noticed, 45 minutes later, that she was still in the same area that she started out. Kneeling on the wet ground, tripod legs splayed out, with the lens inches from the ground.


Curious, I asked her to play back, on her LCD screen, some of the images, so I could see what was going on. I couldn't believe the shots she was getting! Beautifully composed, technically perfect, photographic art! From someone who really doesn't spend much time shooting.
She never ceases to amaze me. Being basically an artist; she's simply using the camera as another tool.


The photo of the acorn, shown above, is one from that series. Shot at f/45 for 8 seconds at 100 ISO. White balance on SHADE....using the built-in self timer to avoid camera movement.


Be sure to look in the Archives section for even more Lessons
Free Web Site Counter
Visitors